[INDOLOGY] Sandhi examples in the english language

Mark McLaughlin markasha at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 20:12:22 UTC 2022

Harry ~ I love reading all these responses. When explaining sandhi to my
undergrads in my intro to Hinduism course, I tell them that Sanskrit
privileges the spoken over the written. When they ask me what that means, I
say to them, "I'm gonna tell ya," and then I write "I'm gonna tell ya" on
the board.

All best,
Mark

On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 1:59 AM Lucy May Constantini via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Welsh definitely has sandhi, and it reflects in the spelling. My Welsh is
> rudimentary, but an example would be "Cymru am byth" (the Welsh motto
> "Wales forever") and "Croeso i Gymru" (on the road signs as one leaves
> England and enters Wales, meaning "Welcome to Wales"). The spelling
> Cymru/Gymru (Wales) is dependent on the sandhi.
>
> All best wishes,
>
> Lucy May Constantini
> PhD Candidate in Religious Studies
> School of Social Sciences and Global Studies
> Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
> The Open University
>
> AHRC Open-Oxford-Cambridge DTP Funded
>
> OU People: Lucy May Constantini <https://www.open.ac.uk/people/lmc662>
>

> On Fri, 5 Aug 2022 at 01:54, Elliot Stern via INDOLOGY <
> indology at list.indology.info> wrote:
>
>> Dear Harry,
>>
>> Welsh and other Celtic languages may have sandhi or similar phenomena.
>> Howard’s example suggest you may want to consider Latin.
>>
>> I can also think of certain English colloquialisms like Whazzup for
>> What’s up.
>>
>> Elliot
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> > On Aug 4, 2022, at 4:02 PM, Howard Resnick <hr at ivs.edu> wrote:
>> >
>> > English sandhi, n -> m before a labial consonant:
>> >
>> > Examples: in-justice but im-possible; in-scrutable, but im-mature.
>> >
>> > etc.
>> >
>> > Good luck,
>> > Howard

>> linguistic or sanskrit students, but english speakers who chant sanskrit
>> mantras and shlokas.
>> spelling in sanskrit .

>> of sandhi more clear.  The examples I know of are:

>> in english. Not final "s" or final "d"

>> of any non-Indian languages?

Mark McLaughlin, PhD
*Senior Lecturer of South Asian Religions*

*Department of Religious StudiesWilliam & MaryWilliamsburg, VA*