[INDOLOGY] Svarodaya and Abhinavagupta

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at uchicago.edu
Sun Oct 10 21:19:50 UTC 2021

Dear friends,

After plunging recently (and perhaps foolishly) into Tibetan materials on the Svarodayatantra, I was surprised to find that the histories of the transmission lineage mention Abhinavagupta. I believe that it is the first explicit reference to this figure I have encountered in Tibetan Buddhist sources. Are there any other materials that you may know of that align him with the Svarodaya - whether in its Śaivaite or Buddhist guises - or that seem to suggest knowledge of the Svarodaya on his part?

with thanks in advance,
Matthew

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études, émérite
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago