[INDOLOGY] dhīmahi

Caley Smith smith.caley at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 17:17:33 UTC 2021

I always thought this was the self-benefactive use of the middle voice,
just as dā in the parasmaipada is to give and dā in the ātmanepada is to
give to oneself, and thus to take, dhīmahi as 1st pl middle optative to dhā
as wishing "may we place/establish X for ourselves" = "may we requisition
X" ? -- C