[INDOLOGY] Sanskrit mnemonics?

Hamsa Stainton hamsa.stainton at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 13:44:58 UTC 2021

Dear Antonia,

I don’t think anyone has mentioned yet the mnemonic for remembering the
names of the 3-syllable gaṇas for the analysis of meters:
*yamātārājabhānasalagaḥ* (or I’ve also seen *yamātārājabhānasalagā*). Thus,
‘ya’ is the name for a light-heavy-heavy triad, ‘ma’ for heavy-heavy-heavy,
and so on. I’ve always found it very useful, and my students have too.

Best wishes,

Hamsa

-

Hamsa Stainton

Assistant Professor

Chair, Graduate Admissions and Fellowships

School of Religious Studies

McGill University