[INDOLOGY] ligature in grantha script

François Patte francois.patte at mi.parisdescartes.fr
Sun Apr 11 10:48:55 UTC 2021

Le 08/04/2021 à 18:27, Marco Franceschini a écrit :
> Allegato disponibile fino al giorno 8 mag 2021
> Dear François,
>
> I have never seen this ligature in a Grantha manuscript, but it is found
> in some Grantha printed books, also in combination with the “standard"
> form of the ligature. In the attached pages, the “standard" ligature
> occurs on page 6 of the pdf file, whereas the “unorthodox” ligature
> appears in the title page (pdf p. 4) and regularly in the text of the
> Bhagavadgītā (from pdf page 38 onward). What the origin of this ligature
> is, I can’t tell for sure: perhaps it is to be looked for in the
> so-called “Jaina” Grantha, i.e. the Tamilian Grantha used in jaina
> circles (which is possibly the model for the design of the printing
> types for Tamilian Grantha); perhaps in the (Grantha) Malayalam script,
> as Heike suggested; perhaps earlier than both, in the Grantha
> inscriptions of, say, the 16th century.
>
> It is years that I study the Grantha script, and I'd be very grateful to
> you if you could tell me in which manuscript you found this ligature and
> whether the manuscript is explicitly dated or you dated it to the 18th
> century on the basis of palaeographic considerations.

Thank you for your answer.

It is a manuscript in French written by a Tamil who was the interpreter
of  the french king in Pondicherry in the years 1770/1790.

It is a memoir on the astronomy in use at that time on the Coromandel
coast. He was a christian and the french astronomer Le Gentil describes
him as a very learned person knowing Sanskrit, Latin and Greek and (of
course) French.

In this memoir, he gives words and quotations in Tamil, written in tamil
script and in Sanskrit, written in grantha script. There are several
non-standard ligatures, the one I already sent, and others I attach to
this mail.

I am wondering if these ligatures are local variants or if the author
did not know very well the rules of grantha script.

I have also a question about the vowell "u" which is written like a  "ṛ"
(or a "i"?). I give some exemples in the attached file.

I think that it is a "u" instead of a "ṛ" because he give the full text
of the Vararuci's vākya and I can compare with the edition of these
vākya given in the Haricarita edited by Pandit Krishnamacarya.

For this problem, I am wondering if it a variant in the script or a
mistake due to the pronunciation of the vowell "ṛ" wich is pronounced
like a "ru" in some parts of India. For instance, in this text, the
author call the Sanskrit, the "sanskroutam".

Thank you and best regards

--
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique