Re: [INDOLOGY] root skr̥?

Dieter Gunkel dcgunkel at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 11:59:53 UTC 2020

Dear Madhav,

Further evidence for *skṛ-* with initial s comes from Rigvedic sandhi,
where word-final *-s* is retained before forms derived from the root *kṛ-*.
Where forms of *kṛ-* are involved, -*s* is retained even in contexts where
we do not find "close sandhi" in the Rigveda, e.g. between a direct object
and a verb: *kaniṣṭhá āha catúras karéti* "The youngest said, 'I'll make
four.'" (4.33.5c).

The same sandhi behavior holds for the bardic family name *káṇva-*, where
the *s* is preserved in the Kanvid name *práskaṇva-*. Likewise in *kaví-*,
where Germanic cognates such as present-day German *schauen* 'to look'
exhibit a root-initial *s*.

For a thorough discussion, you can check this paper:

Hale, Mark. 1990. “Preliminaries to the Study of the Relationship between
Sandhi and Syntax in the Language of the Rigveda.” *Münchener Studien zur
Sprachwissenschaft* 51:77–96.

All the best,

Dieter