[INDOLOGY] Sources on corpse preservation in Theravāda contexts

Ryan Damron rdamron at berkeley.edu
Tue May 12 17:05:21 UTC 2020

Dear all,

A colleague not on the list asked me to post the following query:

"I would be grateful for any (translated) primary or secondary sources that discuss funerary rites involving the preservation of the bodies of realized masters or sangha members. The sources can draw from canonical, ritual, or commentarial literature that directly addresses the topic of whole-body relics. Ideally I would like sources on such practices in Theravāda cultures, but would appreciate anything generally pertinent to the topic."

Many thanks in advance,

Ryan

Ryan Damron
Doctoral Candidate
Department of South and Southeast Asian Studies
University of California, Berkeley
7233 Dwinelle Hall
Berkeley, CA 94720-2520
rdamron at berkeley.edu