[INDOLOGY] Pitch distinctions

Hock, Hans Henrich hhhock at illinois.edu
Sun Jun 14 19:37:33 UTC 2020

Dear Madhav,

Voiceless (agho.sa) consonants generally raise the pitch on neighboring syllables, voiceless (gho.savat) consonants lower it, especially voiced aspirated consonants. I don’t know whether there is a similar difference between plain and aspirated voiceless consonants.

My former student, Indranil Dutta, wrote his dissertation on the properties of aspirated and plain stops in Hindi. He’s now at EFLU Hyderabad. If you would like, I can send you his contact from my work computer

All the best

Hans