[INDOLOGY] Female authors of vedic hymns.

Harry Spier vasishtha.spier at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 01:47:32 UTC 2020

I have been provided information off-list that suggests the answer is no.

1)
Stephanie Jamison holds that there is no real reason to believe that this
attribution, found in the *anukramaṇīs*, is accurate.
"The Anukramai)T attributes a few hymns to females, for example XIII.91 to
Aplila
Atreyi and X.39-40 to Gho~a Kak~Ivati, but these ascriptions are derived
from the
personnel depicted in the hymn itself. There is no reason to assume that
the poet
was female in these cases. A particularly egregious example is the
attribution of the
very interesting X.l09 to Juhii Brahmajaya, or "Sacrificial Ladle, Wife of
Brahma [/
the brahmin]," based on the appearance of both those terms in the text."
p 59, Jamison, S. W., & Brereton, J. P. (2014). *The Rigveda: the earliest
religious poetry of India.* New York: Oxford University Press.

2) Michael Witzel's article : Female Rishi's and Philoso[hers in the Vedas
I'm attaching the article (Note: I also found the Harvard DASH link to this
article but I get a PDF error when I click on the Harvard link)

Harry Spier