Re: [INDOLOGY] OM in the Purāṇas and Hindu Tantra

Finnian M.M. Gerety finnian_moore-gerety at brown.edu
Fri Feb 14 02:42:43 UTC 2020

Thanks to all of those who responded to my OM query off-list. I continue to be amazed by the fine work and generosity of the scholars in the Indology community.

A few words of reply to those who responded in the public forum…

Nagaraj,

Yes, Nityānanda Miśra’s “The OM Mala” is a treasure trove of references. I have a copy and am consulting it.

Harry,

I appreciate the reminder about the Muktabodha Library’s online resources and your advice about how to search effectively. A cursory look shows that I have my work cut out for me. I look forward to digging into this material.

Jan,

First off, let me say that I always appreciate some good OM puns... ;)

You raise several crucial points about my overall project. I’ve looked into OM in Buddhist and Jain texts, relying on the work of Ron Davidson, Gergely Hidas, and Ellen Gough, among others. I may not be able to address these traditions in detail in my monograph, but it’s certainly something I’d like to pursue further.

As you mention, I survey the various theories of OM’s origins (including proposed etymologies) in Chapter Four of my dissertation <https://dash.harvard.edu/handle/1/17467527>.  I agree that it would be interesting to learn more about OM in Tamil texts, although this is beyond my expertise. Perhaps the Tamilists on the list could weigh in?

At any rate, I’ve chosen to focus on the cultural construction of OM as a sacred syllable in Brahmanical texts in Sanskrit, where OM has had the earliest and most sustained impact. I hope that once I’ve managed to assemble and analyze this great mass of material in the monograph, other scholars will build on it (or contest it!) with materials from other Indian languages and traditions.

yours,

Finnian M.M. Gerety
Visiting Assistant Professor of Religious Studies
[Affiliated] Faculty of Contemplative Studies and Center for Contemporary South Asia
Brown University
www.finniangerety.com <http://finniangerety.com/>