[INDOLOGY] Bāṇa’s Harṣacarita in Keywords [Publication announcement]

Walter Slaje walter.slaje at gmail.com
Sun Aug 30 10:48:44 UTC 2020

Dear Colleagues,

I should like to bring a new publication to your attention.

Kindly regarding,
Walter Slaje

Bollée, Willem: Bāṇa’s Harṣacarita in Keywords: Based on Cowell & Thomas'
Translation (= Studia Indologica Universitatis Halensis, Band 16). Halle an
der Saale: Universitätsverlag Halle-Wittenberg, 2020, 231 S., ISBN:
978-3-86977-220-2, EAN: 9783869772202

Bāṇa is considered the foremost writer of Sanskrit prose and one of “the
brightest stars in the galaxy of Sanskrit poets” (Kane) and is well-known
for his use of obscure words and rare meanings of common words a good
number of which have not been recorded in our standard Sanskrit
dictionaries. In his famous Harṣacarita he relates the deeds of King
Harṣavardhana (606–647 CE), his patron. It is praised as “a veritable
mirror of the many-sided culture as it had evolved during Gupta times” and
as “a perennial spring spurting valuable facts about the cultural history
of ancient India” (Agrawala).

The late Professor Willem Bollée (1927–2020) has prepared an index of words
and notions of the Harṣacarita with a view to unclosing the wealth of
cultural information contained in this masterpiece of Bāṇa. He has released
the present edition for printing.

https://uvhw.de/neuerscheinungen/product/200701_08-220-2.html

For a complete list of all the volumes in this series, see:
https://uvhw.de/studia-indologica.html