[INDOLOGY] Question

Harry Spier vasishtha.spier at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 23:09:26 UTC 2020

I also am puzzled by a feature of Sanskrit versification and sandhi (though
simpler than the feature Madhav asked about).

In verse 6 of the *Kuṇḍalinī-stavaḥ*  sandhi is broken between padas 3 and
4 for metrical purposes.  Is this an anomaly or is it permitted to break
sandhi between padas 1and 2 or  3 and 4 for metrical purposes.

*vande śrīkulakuṇḍalīṁ trivalibhiḥ saṅgaiḥ svayambhūpriyām*

*prāviṣṭāmbaramāracittacapalāṁ bālābalāniṣkalām |*

*yā devī paribhāti vedavadanā sambhāvanī tāpinī *

*iṣṭānāṁ śirasi svayambhuvanitāṁ sambhāvayāmi kriyām ||6 ||*

Harry Spier

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 3:25 PM Madhav Deshpande via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> I am puzzled by a curious feature of Sanskrit versification, syntax and
> sandhis.  While sandhis are supposed to take place between pādas 1 and 2,
> and between 3 and 4,

In Verse 6 of the