[INDOLOGY] sculpture 3000bce to 1500ce

Richard G. Salomon rsalomon at uw.edu
Mon Jun 3 16:48:35 UTC 2019

There is an excellent image of two wrestlers going at it on an inscribed
slab in the Peshawar Museum  which is generally described as a "wrestler's
weight." It is illustrated, among other places, in the exhibition catalogue
"Gandhara: das Buddhistiche Erbe Pakistans," no. 220, p. 324. A scan of the
image is attached. For the inscription, see CKI no. 143 (
https://gandhari.org/a_inscription.php?catid=CKI0143)

Rich Salomon