[INDOLOGY] Antw: Re: Antw: Meaning of वाक

Raik Strunz raik.strunz at indologie.uni-halle.de
Sun Jul 28 11:38:59 UTC 2019

Dear Dr. Houben,

“this first complete translation of the Rgveda [.] now being translated
into English” is actually Ludwig’s very own translation of the Rigveda
into English.

He made it in 1885–86 and 1893 (Maṇḍala IX.). Thanks to Prof. Slaje I
got the chance to edit and publish this translation from Ludwig’s
manuscript that had been bought ca. 1912 onto Oxford, possibly by then
Boden Professor Macdonell (based on a comparison of the secondary page
count in the ms. with Macdonell’s handwritten numbers in an earlier
letter). On some occasions we could find that it differs to his German
translation, rarely giving information about exegetical sources he newly
consulted. So Ludwig did even after his release of the German
translation and the commentaries further on consult this secondary
literature, perhaps we should interprete the English RV translation as
an update to his German one (also he now counted the hymns in the
established manner, not anymore in his very own way by sorting them
anew}.

Maṇḍalas I–V will be published this year in a first volume, and the
other five will also come out some time over the next few years.

Best,

Raik Strunz

–––––––––––

Raik Strunz, M.A.

Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter
Email: raik.strunz at indologie.uni-halle.de
Tel.: +49 345 / 55 23655

Martin-Luther-Universität Halle-Wittenberg
Institut für Altertumswissenschaften
Seminar für Indologie
Emil-Abderhalden-Straße 9
D-06108 Halle (Saale)

www.indologie.uni-halle.de

–––––––––––

सर॑स्वत्यै॒ स्वाहा॑ ॥

>>> "Jan E.M. Houben" <jemhouben at gmail.com> 28.07.19 13.12 Uhr >>>
As far as I know Alfred Ludwig published a translation of the Rgveda
into German plus commentary plus introduction between 1876 and 1883.If
this first complete translation of the Rgveda is now being translated
into English I consider this very good news.
As for RV 1.164.23-24, 12 years ago I concluded my study of these
stanzas as follows:

RV 1.16423-24, two enigmatic statements in the "Riddle Hymn," express
two complementary viewpoints on the relationship between smaller and
larger units of metrical speech employed in ritual chanting. As such,
they provide antecedents for two complementary views which play a major
role in Bhartrhari's Vâkyapadîya, one according to which the units of a
lower organizational level (especially the word and its meaning) are
primary, the other according to which units of a higher organizational
level (especially the sentence and its meaning) are primary.

For those who want to see the full argument I have uploaded the article
on academia.edu:
https://www.academia.edu/39950384/RV_1.164.23-24_and_Bhartrharis_philosophy_of_language
Jan Houben

On Wed, 24 Jul 2019 at 21:20, Raik Strunz via INDOLOGY