[INDOLOGY] re. Sanskrit can tackle climate change

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 09:25:02 UTC 2018

For a sample of a kind of archeological discussion of environmental aspects
of ancient India,

ADDRESS OF THE SECTIONAL PRESIDENT: ENVIRONMENT, ROYAL POLICY AND SOCIAL
FORMATION IN THE EASTERN GHATS SOUTH INDIA, A.D. 1000 - 1500
M.L.K. MURTY
Proceedings of the Indian History Congress
Vol. 53 (1992), pp. 615-631
https://www.jstor.org/stable/44142879?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Prof. M L K Murty passed away recently.

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 2:41 PM, Shaw, Julia via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Further to Antonia Ruppell's pertinent remarks on this topic, some of you
> may be interested in my recent edited volume on Archaeology
> and Environmental Ethics which calls for those studying environmental
> events past and present to give greater thought to the
> religio-philosophical and epistemological roots of the historically
> specific human–environmental relationships that underlie our current
> environmental and climate-change crisis, and to question how differing
> attitudes towards the relationship between humans and non-humans may
> produce distinct environmental trajectories and responses to extreme
> events.
>

> https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rwar20/48/4
> <https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rwar20/48/4>
>
> The following is from the Introduction: https://www.
> tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00438243.2016.132675
> <https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00438243.2016.132675>
>

> The volume brings together papers on archaeology’ s engagement with the
> ethical dimension of
>
> past:present:future global environmental discourse, arguing that the study
> of historically specific
>
> human:non-human:environment worldviews and epistemologies, particularly
> those in which
>
> religio-cultural constructs regarding humans’  place in the world are
> shaping forces in economic,
>
> socio-political and environmental action, should be key to building
> long-term perspectives on the
>
> current global environmental crisis. Its publication is timely given the
> growing cross-disciplinary
>
> interest in Anthropocene studies with which archaeology has only recently
> begun to engage,
>
> albeit generally with the rather restricted aim of promoting its capacity
> to deepen temporal
>
>  perspectives on the social-construction-of-‘ nature’  theme that
> permeates Anthropocene discussions
>
> and to provide empirical evidence for practical and material responses to
> climate change and
>
> extreme environmental events, as relevant models for present:future
> challenges. Further, the
>
> related human:environmental ‘ entanglement’  discourse has, with recent
> exceptions (Lane 2015 ),
>
> tended to focus on agrarian and technological agents of change, rather
> than on underlying ethical
>
> frameworks whether driven by explicit religious theologies and
> epistemologies or through more
>
> broadly applicable ideological ‘ worldviews’  akin to Latour’ s (2013b )
> ‘ secular religion’ . Finally,
>
> archaeology’ s growing interest in the generalized term ‘ climate change’
> , itself a symptom of
>
> deeper human:environment imbalance, tends to overlook the diversity and
> variation of impact
>
> in terms of both causal contributing factors and individualized impact at
> a human level.
>
> The volume arose from the need to address these problems through
> [...]

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra

BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )