[INDOLOGY] Scientification in India

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 20:20:49 UTC 2018

Dear Axel,

Madhusudana Ojha
<https://archive.org/stream/BrahmaVidyaRahasyam1/Brahma%20Vidya%20Rahasyam-1#page/n1>
(1866-1939) was an important early-twentieth century voice in popularizing
this view.  He published a lot of material, like *Indravijaya*, some of
which still circulates I believe.  I once visited his former home in
Jaipur, and many of his unpublished papers and diagrams were still there,
and the family was keeping alive a devotion to his cosmic visions and
scientist message.  One of Ojha's students was Vedavācaspati Paṇḍit Motilal
Śāstrī (1908-1960) who continued to publish in the same vein, as do others
<https://archive.org/stream/CosmicMatrix/Cosmic%20Matrix#page/n3>.

Some notes from my visit in 2011:

*Manvashram *(map <https://goo.gl/maps/Kp1Rkk2rzi12>)
Shree Krishna Sharma, Gopalpura Mode, Tonk Road, Jaipur.
A little , quiet, grassy enclosed courtyard with a grazing cow.  Various
buildings around, labelled "university," printing press," etc., as if it
were a small campus.  And a rusting 1903 English printing press at the
front.
Not a single Sanskrit MS, though.  The story of the place is quite
interesting, nevertheless.  *Vedavācaspati Paṇḍit Motilal Śāstrī*
(1908-1960) was the spirit of the place, and the father of the present
occupant.  Motilal wrote 80,000 pages of materials on the interpretation of
the Veda and on the Śatapathabrāhmaṇa.  He discovered a special code or
cypher that explained everything.  He also developed a series of coloured
geometrical drawings that showed a kind of evolutionary and hierarchical
cosmology.  It turns out that his teacher was *Madhusudana Ojha*
(1866-1939), which explains all the pseudo-science and back-to-the-vedas
ideology (independent of the Arya Samaj, as far as I know).
Motilal Śāstrī's father Balendu (I think) had the first printing press in
Jaipur.

Best,
Dominik

--
Professor Dominik Wujastyk <http://ualberta.academia.edu/DominikWujastyk>
,

Singhmar Chair in Classical Indian Society and Polity
,

Department of History and Classics <http://historyandclassics.ualberta.ca/>
,
University of Alberta, Canada