[INDOLOGY] Scientification in India

Jan E.M. Houben jemhouben at gmail.com
Tue Sep 11 11:11:55 UTC 2018

Obrigado!
This one was missing in my collection.
Several mentions and discussions of the alleged parallelism
Euclid:Europe is appr. Panini:(classical) India exist, in French (by  the
brilliant German indologist August Wilhelm von Schlegel 1832), in Dutch
(Staal 1963) and English (Ingalls, Staal, Bronkhorst), but I believe I am
the first to have made these observations, whether one wants to agree with
them or modify or reject them, accessible in Sanskrit -- fair enough, after
ca. 250 years of excluding Sanskrit pandits from our discussions and
"siddhāntas" about them:
https://www.academia.edu/5066874
भारतीयपश्चिममण्डलयोः शास्त्ररीतिविषय आत्मभेदो वा संतोलनभेदो वा वर्तते । तथा
ह्याह रुद्यर्द् किप्लिङ् । प्राची हि प्राची पश्चिमा च पश्चिमेति (टिप. 16) ।
अत्र मम श्लोकस्य उपन्यासः ।
आत्मभेदस्तयोरस्ति  मन्यन्ते किप्लिङादयः ।
संतोलनात्मको भेद  इङ्गल्स्-स्ताल्-भ्यां तु दृश्यते ॥
Basic ethics in *modern* anthropology, not necessarily in 19th cent.
anthropology and indology, requires that "objects" of our research should
get a chance to give their own feedback on our conclusions (and, obviously,
in their own preferred language).
Cheers,
JH