[INDOLOGY] The universe as an image in a mirror

Matthew Kapstein mkapstei at uchicago.edu
Mon Sep 3 09:15:36 UTC 2018

Dear Harry,

The image is definitely widespread in Buddhist materials, both tantric and non-tantric. One of the five aspects of the Buddha's gnosis (pañcajñāna) is "mirror-like gnosis" (ādarśajñāna), in which, according to the ca. 4th century

Mahāyānasūtrālaṃkāra (Bodhyadhikāra)

all that is knowable is reflected. I am sorry that I do not have the time at my disposal to identify additionalsources for you, but the famous article by Paul Demiéville,

« Le miroir spirituel », Sinologica, I, 2, Basel, 1947,, pp. 112-137,

may prove helpful (I do not recall now whether he considers only Chinese materials there or includes Buddhist canonical sources).

Given the intertextuality between later Indian Buddhism and Kashmir Saivism, it is not surprising that the metaphor would be found in the latter sources as well.

hope this helps to get you started,

Matthew

Matthew Kapstein
Directeur d'études,
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes

Numata Visiting Professor of Buddhist Studies,
The University of Chicago