[INDOLOGY] Fwd: Re: Soma and Amanita muscaria

George Thompson gthomgt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 21:45:58 UTC 2018

Dear List,

I apologize for having dropped out of our conversation for a while.  After
recovering from the flu I found myself swamped by unfulfilled obligations.
Fortunately, I am able to return to our conversation now.  First, I will
attach a pdf file that includes my three Soma papers which have been
mentioned already.  Unfortunately, the librarian whom I asked to make these
pdfs for me made only one pdf file that included all three papers together
[I had assumed that he would make a pdf of each paper, but I guess he saved
himself some time].

Also, while I was sick in I bed, I ordered a copy of Matthew Clark's book
"The Tawny One", and when I received it I read it within a week   I
strongly recommend it to all list members.  He makes two main
points. First, he asserts and argues well that soma/haoma plant had
psychedelic/entheogenic properties,  Second he asserts and argues well that
there was not one soma/haoma plant, but rather that  there were many.  This
makes sense to me.

I am not an ethnobotanist, So I have found Clark's ethnobotanical
discussions very helpful.  He has good command of Vedic literature in
translation as well as good command of the secondary literature [he also
knows later Sanskrit well].  He surveys all of the major proposals that
attempt to identify the ur-soma/haoma plant and juice.

Like Mathew, I look forward to more discussion.

Best wishes,

George Thompson