[INDOLOGY] Accuracy in translations

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 17:09:14 UTC 2018

Dear Matthew,

I am thinking that those who use the word “literal” approvingly do not
intend thereby to exclude such aspects as syntax, idiom, nuance, etc., even
though the word would usually exclude these aspects. Those who use it in
connection with the Tibetan translations of Sanskrit Buddhist texts
probably could not think of another word to describe what they saw as the
most distinctive characteristic of these translations. I get the impression
that those who use “literal” approvingly do so for lack of a better word to
indicate contrast with more free translations, meaning by it only less free.

Best regards,

David Reigle

Colorado, U.S.A.