[INDOLOGY] Resources for commentarial interpretations of particles

Brendan brendan.gillon at mcgill.ca
Tue Aug 14 02:31:09 UTC 2018

Alas Bochenski's discussion (art. 53 sec. F) consists of 9 lines, 3
lines of which are a schema for the three conditions of the Trairuupya,
are translations of eva, respectively, as "wholly", "only" and "never".

On `eva', see the following:

Kajiyama, Y. 1973 Three kinds of affirmation and two kinds of negation in
Buddhist philosophy. Wiener Zeitschrift für die Kunde Südasiens: v. 17,
pp. 161 – 175.

Gillon, Brendan and Richard Hayes 1982 The role of the particle eva in (log-
ical) quantification in Sanskrit. Wiener Zeitschrift für die Kunde
Südasiens:
v. 26, pp. 195 – 203.

Ganeri, Jonardon Dharmakı̄rti’s semantics for the particle eva. In:
Studies in the Bud-
dhist Epistemological Tradition Proceedings of the Third International
Dharmakı̄rti Conference, Hiroshima, 11-16 November, 1997 (Verlag
der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, edited Shoryu
Katsura, 1999), pp. 101–116.

Gillon, Brendan Another look at the Sanskrit particle eva. In: Studies
in the Bud-
dhist Epistemological Tradition Proceedings of the Third International
Dharmakı̄rti Conference, Hiroshima, 11-16 November, 1997 (Verlag
der Österreichischen Akademie der Wissenschaften, edited Shoryu
Katsura, 1999), pp. 117–130.

An appendix to the last article provides a taxonomy of the various
usages found in the Svaarthaanumaana section up to verse 38 of
Dharmakı̄rti's Pramaa.navaarttika. I have found that taxonomy to be
borne out in various readings I have done since then. (There are usages
which were to me, at least, unclassifiable.)

Brendan Gillon