[INDOLOGY] Chandela of Bundelkhand (bibliographical request)

Paolo Eugenio Rosati paoloe.rosati at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 14:37:53 UTC 2018

Dear Metthew,

thanks! My books are packed because I'm moving to a new flat and the
department's library is closed in August, so it's quite difficult to read
new material.

I don't know if I'll never try to plan a project on Chandelas. But I find
strong analogies with the Pala of Kamarupa (that now is my main
geographical area of research):

Both are supposed to be hinduized or mixed-blood (samkarajati) dynasties.
Both reigned between the X and the XIII century CE.
Both were linked to the cult of the yogini.
Both produced erotic sculpures.

So, I need to know much more about Chandelas, their origins and their
religious life - maybe through the iconographical study of their temples.

Best,
Paolo

paoloe.rosati at uniroma1.it
paoloe.rosati at gmail.com