[INDOLOGY] A Cumulative Supplement Dictionary of Sanskrit

Walter Slaje slaje at kabelmail.de
Wed May 31 21:03:00 UTC 2017

Dear Jan,

thank you for your observations and proposals. In brief, we keep lists of
many more glossaries in our drawers, which we ourselves „miss“ no less
badly than you. We would have loved to add more, but the “present stage of
the project” you refer to is actually its final stage. The „Description“
provided on the search site informs the careful reader that funding was
granted by the DFG for three years only. Therefore, the
​volume of the data to be included had to be limited right from the outset,
and a manageable choice had to be made. What you get is what we could
manage to achieve in the allotted time.

Given that even the data base as such had to be developed in the course of
those three years and that every single entry of every single glossary had
to be adapted to the structure of the pw (hand-picked) for the purpose of
the intended synoptic representation – not to speak of proof-reading –, any
claim to completeness would have amounted to hubris. We have consciously
never made such a claim
​.​

Even though two works of Renou are deplorably missing, I agree, there are
still about fifteen other lexicographical works from Renou’s pen included
in the NWS, which spares you checking all of them separately when hunting
for a single word.

Since the NWS is almost limitlessly expandable, it is only a matter of
raising funds for completing it in a
​truly ​
satisfying manner. Everybody, who is interested in expanding it further, is
cordially invited to
​come up with feasible ideas for fundraising.

> From your reference to Oliver Hellwig's 2009 Wörterbuch der
mittelalterlichen indischen Alchemie with as specific topic "Mineralogy"
should we conclude that the contributions of this dictionary to other
fields such as alchemical instruments have not been used?

It depends on whether one likes to approach the NWS from a theoretical or
from a practical perspective: The theorist, relying on conclusions drawn
from a tag he has spotted, will refrain from search efforts and meet less
success than the more practical person, who blithely types, e.g., „*māraṇa*“
and feels rewarded by a result, which at the same time would also answer
your question about “mineralogy only”, were it indeed put earnestly, which,
I trust, it was not, but with mild irony
​ only​
. I like that.

In any case, we will of course adjust the topic. Thank you for alerting us
to it!

Kind regards,

Walter