[INDOLOGY] chinese translation of Nāgārjuna's Prajñāmūlaśāstraṭīkā

Tieken, H.J.H. H.J.H.Tieken at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Mon Jul 3 08:50:02 UTC 2017

Dear list members,
In a passage dealing with possible sources of inspiration of Kālidāsa's Meghadūta Chintaharan Chakravarti (Indian Historical Quarterly 3 (1927), pp. 286 ff) mentions a certain Hsū Kan (196-221 AD), who in his Chinese translation of Nāgārjuna's Prajñāmūlaśāstraṭīkā describes a woman who requests a cloud to pass on a message to her far-away husband. I would like to know where I can find more information about this translator Hsū Kan, in particular his date and if something is known about his knowledge of Sanskrit Kāvya literature.
Best, Herman

Herman Tieken
Stationsweg 58
2515 BP Den Haag