[INDOLOGY] A disease called jāpyatā?

Martin Gansten martingansten at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 17:12:59 UTC 2017

I once again turn to the vaidyavids on this list in hope of
enlightenment. Balabhadra in his 17th-century /Hāyanaratna/ writes of an
astrological configuration:

/atra tejaḥsiṃhena samarasiṃhena ca śanidṛṣṭiṃ vinā rūkṣādirogāḥ proktāḥ
| śanidṛṣṭau tu jāpyatā nāma kutsito roga uktaḥ | /

'On this [matter], Tejaḥsiṃha and Samarasiṃha state that [even] without
the aspect of Saturn, there are diseases such as dryness, but if Saturn
aspects, there is said to be the vile disease called /jāpyatā/.'

Does anyone know what condition this might be? I have so far found only
one other occurrence of /jāpyatā/, in Varāhamihira's /Yogayātrā/
(10.57), which is not very illuminating:

/dakṣiṇe śubham atīva śobhanaṃ pāpam apy ativirūpam anyataḥ |//
//jāpyatā bhavati tadviparyaye vistaro 'nyamunibhiḥ prakīrtitaḥ ||//
/
The alternative word division /jāpyatānām akutsito /seems likewise
unpromising.

Martin Gansten