[INDOLOGY] sex and gender

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 12:34:30 UTC 2017

I could not read the article

Ouseparambil, Philosophy of Gender in Sanskrit and Indo-European. (Based on
a 1980 thesis submitted to SVU Tirupati)

'Gender' as a linguistic aspect of languages like Sanskrit is different
from the contemporary sociological issue of 'gender'.

The distinction of grammatical 'gender' of words from the sex of the
entities (not limited to human beings nor to the animate) denoted by those
words is different from the distinction of the sociological/political
category of 'gender' of human beings from the biological category of 'sex'
of human beings.

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 5:40 PM, Dermot Killingley via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> Dear Shyam,
>
> Here's a couple of references from the journal *Religions of South Asia
> (RoSA)*, of which I'm one of the editors:
>
> Saswati Sengupta and Sharmila Purkayastha: "Of Famines and Females: The
> Politics of Laksmi Bratakathas of Bengal"  *RoSA* 10.2 (2016) pp.
> 172-192. (gender politics, including role of religion in oppressing women,
> and of women in maintaining religion)
>
> Ruth Vanita: "Full of God: Ashtavakra and ideas of justice in Hindu texts"
> *RoSA* 3.2 (2009) pp. 167-181. (involves female-to-female impregnation
> and other gender-bending mythological events)
>
> Also;
>
> Alf Hiltebeitel & Kathleen M. Erndl (ed.) *Is the goddess a feminist? the
> politics of South Asian goddesses. *New York University Press, 2000
>
> I may think of more later, but I'm sure others will know these and many
> more.
>
> Dermot
>
> On 15 Aug 2017 at 22:44, Shyam Ranganathan via INDOLOGY wrote:
>
> Dear all,
> This is a question from a colleague who is not on the list. This colleague
> teaches a course on Sex and Gender theory and is interested in articles
> that addresses the topic from differing cultural vantages. I was asked
> about what was available on the topic that discusses the issue from the
> perspective of the Indian tradition. I didn't know what to say. I'd be
> grateful for any suggestions.
>
> Thanks,
> Shyam
>
> --
> Shyam Ranganathan
> MA,MA, PhD
> Department of Philosophy
> York University, Toronto
> *shyam-ranganathan.info * <http://shyam-ranganathan.info/>
> *The Bloomsbury Research Handbook of Indian Ethics*
> <http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/the-bloomsbury-research-handbook-of-indian-ethics-9781472587770/>
> *Patañjali`s Yoga Sūtras*
> <http://penguin.co.in/book/classics/patanjalis-yoga-sutra/> (Translation,
> Edition and Commentary)
> *Translating Evaluative Discourse: The Semantics of Thick and Thin
> Concepts* <https://philpapers.org/rec/SHYTED>
> *Full List, Publications* <https://philpapers.org/s/shyam%20ranganathan>
>
> --
> Dermot Killingley
> 9, Rectory Drive,
> Gosforth,
> Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 1XT
> Phone (0191) 285 8053

Nagaraj Paturi

Hyderabad, Telangana, INDIA.

BoS, MIT School of Vedic Sciences, Pune, Maharashtra

BoS, Chinmaya Vishwavidyapeeth, Veliyanad, Kerala

(Pune, Maharashtra, INDIA )