[INDOLOGY] Quick Buddhism Question: Trikāya and Trisvabhāva

Jeffery Long dharmaprof108 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 17 19:56:42 UTC 2017

Dear Colleagues,
A (hopefully) quick and easy question for Buddhism scholars:
Is there any direct correlation between the trikāya (three bodies of Buddha) and trisvabhāva (literally 'three natures,' but three modes of perceiving reality: deluded, relative, and ultimate)?  Do the three svabhāvas map onto the three bodies in a one-to-one fashion, such that one perceiving in the deluded mode would perceive the physical body of a Buddha, one perceiving in a relative mode would have a vision of a cosmic Buddha or celestial Bodhisattva, and one perceiving in the ultimate mode would perceive the Dharmakāya, the ultimate truth?  The last makes sense to me, but I'm unclear on the other two.
Thank you in advance!
Jeff Dr. Jeffery D. Long
Professor of Religion and Asian Studies
Elizabethtown CollegeElizabethtown, PA
https://etown.academia.edu/JefferyLong
Series Editor, Explorations in Indic Traditions: Theological, Ethical, and PhilosophicalLexington Books
"One who makes a habit of prayer and meditation will easily overcome all difficulties and remain calm and unruffled in the midst of the trials of life."  (Holy Mother Sarada Devi)
"We are a way for the Cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)