[INDOLOGY] Several names of geographical objects in India

Artur Karp karp at uw.edu.pl
Wed Nov 30 13:28:47 UTC 2016

Dear Colleagues,

A week ago I posted here a request concerning the formal Hindi, Marathi and
Konkani names of several Indian Catholic Churches.

I need these data - as they are to be included in the supplement to
the "Urzędowy
wykaz polskich nazw geograficznych świata" [*Official List of Polish
Geographical Names of the World*], published in 2013; the (searchable)
*.pdf at:

http://ksng.gugik.gov.pl/pliki/wykaz_polskich_nazw_geograficznych.pdf

The supplement is planned to include the names of the most important
historical monuments, buildings, archaeological sites, etc. around the
world - giving their exact geo coordinates, their names in the original
languages, when needed, in their formally transliterated, Romanized
versions (South Asia - apart from Maldives - acc. to ISO 15919), and in the
Polish transcription.

The names listed in my previous message, elude me, what I can find is only
their popular, simplified English names:

*Hindi *(in Devanagari)* names of: *

Basilica of Bom Jesus (Goa)
Basilica of Our Lady of Good Health (near Nagapppatinam)
San Thome Basilica (Chennai)
St. Paul's Cathedral (Kolkata)
St.Thomas Kathedral(Mumbai)
St. Francis Church (Cochin)
St. Thomas Syro-Malabar Catholic Church (Malayattur by Ernakulam)

Chennakesava Temple (Belur)

*Marathi *(in Devanagari)* name of:*

Basilica of Bom Jesus (Goa)

*Konkani (in *Devanagari)* name of:*

Basilica of Bom Jesus (Goa)

*Urdu name of:*

Iron Pillar (Delhi)

Now, since  so far there have been no responses to my request, I am tempted
to think of three possible reasons for the List's silence. Let me share
them.

First, sort of paranoic. I, Artur Karp -  personally, as a retired lecturer
in Sanskrit and Pali, with *no recognized/recognizable diploma*, do not
deserve the List members' attention

Second, sort of paranoic, too. The institution I used to work for for more
than forty years, the *University of Warsaw, Poland*, does not deserve the
List members' attention.

Third, sort of unbelievable. The indologists would not wish to be involved
in projects even superficially related  to *Christianity in India*.

Whatever, and whichever. I am going to find the address of some Indian
Catholic Church administration center and try to get the needed information
from them.

Greetings from already snow covered Warszawa,

Artur Karp (em.)
Katedra Azji Południowej
Instytut Orientalistyczny
Uniwersytet Warszawski