[INDOLOGY] Georges Dumezil's Tripartite Ideology text

Alfred Hiltebeitel beitel at gwu.edu
Wed Nov 30 13:23:11 UTC 2016

I also ltook the opportunity to rethink some Dumeziliana in "The
Mahabharata and the Stories Some People Tell About It," in Exemplar: The
Journal of South Asian Studies,' Part 1, Vol. 1 No 2 (2012), pp. 2-26 , and
Part 2, Vol. 2, No. 1 (2013), pp. 1-13 (see especially pp. 3-4).

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 4:56 AM, Jonathan Silk <kauzeya at gmail.com> wrote:

> A propos this topic please permit me to quote from a review I published
> long years ago on a volume of the collected papers of John Brough (IIJ 42:
> 188-196):
>
> Despite the astonishingly broad range of his interests and competence,
> Brough was not a comparativist, at least in the sense that that term is
> frequently used today. In fact, he rather energetically, and sometimes even
> rather sarcastically, critiqued a certain type of comparativism, especially
> in his comments on Dumezil’s ideas on the “Tripartite Ideology of the
> IndoEuropeans.” Having, for example, offered an elaborate complex of
> evidence which reduces to ashes Dumezil’s claim that the “Tripartite
> Ideology” is exclusively IndoEuropean, and nonBiblical, Brough wrote (p.
> 199): “We can, of course, dismiss the whole thing [that is, Brough’s
> demonstration of the same patterns in Biblical myth] as a mere burlesque, a
> caricature of Professor Dumezil’s methods: though I protest that I have
> tried not to caricature, and have done my best to deal with the material in
> the same manner as he has dealt with the IndoEuropean material. The reader
> is free to judge whether or not my treatment is a burlesque.” Despite the
> putative freedom Brough has given his reader, he ends his study with these
> words: “The experiment [carried out in the paper] also suggests that the
> IndoEuropean ‘tripartite ideology’ could be due very largely to bias in the
> selection of data combined with ‘la nature des choses’. If it does not
> prove this with the certainty of a mathematical demonstration, it does at
> least prove that, up to the present, no very strong reason has been given
> for thinking otherwise.”
>

> Jonathan Silk
>
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 9:45 AM, Christophe Vielle <
> christophe.vielle at uclouvain.be> wrote:
>
>> *L'idéologie tripartie des Indo-Européens*, Bruxelles : Latomus (*Collection
>> Latomus* 31), 1958,
>> is currently out of print (the series "Coll. Latomus" is now with Peeters
>> publ.: http://www.peeters-leuven.be/search_serie_book.asp?nr=299 ).
>> As far as I know, no English translation was made of this book.
>>
>> Alf Hiltebeitel made a translation of the 1st edition of
>> *Heur et malheur du guerrier. Aspects mythiques de la fonction guerrière
>> chez les Indo-Européens*, Paris : Flammarion, 19691,  19852 : *The
>> Destiny of the Warrior*, Chicago UP, 1970.
>> https://archive.org/details/GeorgesDumezilTheDestinyOfTheWarrior1970
>>
>> and of the 3rd part of the 1st edition of
>> *Mythe et épopée II. Types épiques indo-européens : un héros, un sorcier,
>> un roi*, Paris : Gallimard (*Bibliothèque des sciences humaines*), 19711,
>>  19772, 19864 : *The Destiny of a King*, Chicago UP, 1973.
>> https://archive.org/details/GeorgesDumezilTheDestinyOfAKing
>> https://archive.org/details/GeorgesDumezilTheDestinyOfAKing1973
>>
>> The translation of two other parts of the latter have been ed. by J.
> [...]

Alf Hiltebeitel
Professor of Religion, History and Human Sciences
Department of Religion
George Washington University
2106 G Street, NW
Washington DC, 20052