Re: [INDOLOGY] Vālmīki’s first śloka

Harry Spier hspier.muktabodha at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 20:08:01 UTC 2016

Dear David,

Oberlies, A Grammar of Epic Sanskrit, 6.5 Constructions with maa (page 184)
 refers to this specific verse 1.2.14 and its use of an augmented aorist
with maa.  "To express a prohibition the partical maa is used - as a rule -
with unaugmented forms of the aorist.  In Epic Sanskrit, however, the
augment is occasionally not dropped.
maa . . . agamaH, R.2.14 ....[more references from MBh and R ]...."

But more importantly Oberlies  makes a reference  in a footnote to an
article on this stanza. "On this stanza see  Kolver (1985. 32 n.7)"

>From the title of this article it appears very relevent to this discussion.

Is it possible for a list member to make available a pdf of:
B. Kolver. Uberlagerungen im Ramayana: Die Legende von der Erfindung des
Sloka WZKS (1985) 27 -41 .

WZKS = Weiner Zeitschrift fur die Kunde Sud

Thanks,
Harry Spier

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 11:19 PM, David and Nancy Reigle <dnreigle at gmail.com