Re: [INDOLOGY] Les mathématiques de l'autel védique

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 06:46:34 UTC 2016

Looking at the use of a good word in a wrong context, it is not proper to
avoid the use of the same good word in the right context. In order to show
what can justifiably called 'Vedic Mathematics', books such as your well
researched one should be called 'Vedic Mathematics' books only.

Congratulations!

Looking more such works from you.

On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 6:46 AM, Jan E.M. Houben <jemhouben at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Jean-Michel,
> Congratulations with this publication, the result of many years of hard
> work, and a significant contribution to Vedic and Sanskrit studies and to
> the history of mathematics.
> Jan
>

> *Jan E.M. HOUBEN*
>
> Directeur d’Études
>
> Sources et histoire de la tradition sanskrite
>
> *École Pratique des Hautes Études*
>
> *Sciences historiques et philologiques *
>
> 54, rue Saint-Jacques
>
> CS 20525 – 75005 Paris
>
> johannes.houben at ephe.sorbonne.fr
>
> https://ephe-sorbonne.academia.edu/JanEMHouben
>
> www.ephe.fr
>

> On 15 November 2016 at 21:06, Jean-Michel Delire <jmdelire at ulb.ac.be>
> wrote:
>
>> Dear list,
>>
>> Your discussion reminds me the so-called Vedic mathematics, which are not
>> Vedic at all. That is the reason why I have myself been very cautious not
>> to use Vedic directly associated with mathematics in the title of my (just
>> published) book : Les mathématiques de l'autel védique, or Mathematics of
>> the Vedic Altar (the book is mainly in French). The altar is definitely
>> vedic, and also the mathematics used to build it and explained in the book,
>> but they are very different of what is nowadays - and inaccurately - called
>> Vedic mathematics. If you want more information, see
>> http://www.droz.org/eur/fr/6416-9782600013826.html
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Jean Michel Delire
>>

>> >Hi Patrick,