[INDOLOGY] First female sovereign

Nemec, John William (nemec) (jwn3y) jwn3y at eservices.virginia.edu
Wed Nov 2 01:25:37 UTC 2016

No one has mentioned Queen DiddA, who reigned in 980-1003 A.D./C.E. in Kashmir, according to Kalha.a/Stein's dating. See the 6th taraGga. I think she also briefly ascended to the throne prior to this, as well, again according to Kalha.na. She is also known from the numismatic evidence; Cunningham records exemplars of her coinage, which was heavily alloyed.

I've always just assumed there were other, earlier queens, and would be interested to know more.  I'll look up the reference Rich gives us but hope others chime in.

John Nemec