[INDOLOGY] Mind and moon

Nagaraj Paturi nagarajpaturi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 07:37:38 UTC 2016

>Could the connection be through soma (often linked or identified with the
moon), since the
mind is called a pavitra through which poetic insight (dhI) flows and
becomes offerings
(Gonda Vision of the Vedic Poets pp. 278-9)?

------- I think this is a good way of going about it. ; similarly, moon is
pitr loka; pitr loka is mano loka; (ancestors live in the memries of the
S'raadha kartaa , S'raadha yajammana); Once they are 'promoted' from 'pitr'
stage, they get elevated to Aaditya (Sun) loka. pitr, pitaamaha,
prapitaamaha are at the 'moon' (pitr) level. prapitaamaha's father and his
father onwards all the older ancestors are promoted to aaditya loka. (go
beyond the mind/memory level)

On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 8:27 PM, Dipak Bhattacharya <dipak.d2004 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Likening the sun to eye, occurring in the next quarter, is not
> implausible. Chandramaa manaso jaata.h might be a play with word -
> chandramas and manas are alliterative. The Braahmanas sometimes aggrandize
> old sayings with eye to ritual. I add that the Braahmana often state
> authentic Vedic beliefs and tradition too.
> Best
> DB
>
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2016 at 3:17 PM, <dermot at grevatt.force9.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Can anyone explain why the mind is the microcosmic counterpart of the
>> moon? The
>> correspondence appears in Rgveda 10.90.13 and in countless passages of
>> the Brahmanas
>> and Upanisads, but it's not obvious like breath and wind.
>>
>> Renou Études Védiques vol XVI p. 150 says it's a play on words. I find
>> that hard to accept,
>> because the words (candra-mas and manas) are not very similar (they are
>> in Latin, but the
>> sages didn't have access to an Indo-European comparative dictionary).
>>
>> Could the connection be through soma (often linked or identified with the
>> moon), since the
>> mind is called a pavitra through which poetic insight (dhI) flows and
>> becomes offerings
>> (Gonda Vision of the Vedic Poets pp. 278-9)?
>>
>> Or is it that the mind, like the moon, is constant though its content
>> continually changes?
>>
>> --
>> Dermot Killingley
>> 9, Rectory Drive,