[INDOLOGY] QUERY: mouse-venom

Seishi Karashima skarashima at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 00:08:21 UTC 2016

Dear Matthew,

Cf. **Satyasiddhiśāstra* 成實論. T1646_.32.0322a01ff.
問曰。諸煩惱何故名使。答曰。生死相續中常隨衆生。故名爲使。猶如乳母常隨小兒。如瘧病未脱。如負債日息。如鼠毒未除。如熱鐵黒相。如穀子牙。如自要奴券。如斷事證人。...
322a26f. 亦如四日瘧病雖二日不發。亦名瘧病人。亦如鼠毒未差除。故雷聲則發。(It resembles the rat poison,
which, if not eliminated, will still [故] cause an attack [even] by
[hearing] sounds of thunder.)

*Sphuṭârthā Abhidharmakośavyākhyā: the Work of Yaśomitra*, ed. U. Wogihara,
Tokyo 1936: The Publishing Association of Abhidharmakośavyākhyā; Tokyo 31989:
Sankibō Busshorin, p. 488, l. 5f. *anubadnaṃtīti. anukrānteś
cāturthakajvaravan mūṣikāviṣavac cety anye*. = The Chinese translation of
Saṅghabhadra’s *Abhidharmanyāyānusāraśāstra*, T. 29, no. 1559, *Apidamo
Shunzhenglilun *阿毘達磨順正理論, translated by Xuanzang, T1562_.29.0641c22f.
言隨縛者。極難離故。如四日瘧及鼠毒等= The Chinese translation of Saṅghabhadra’s
**Abhidharmapiṭakaprakaraṇaśāsanaśāstra
*阿毘達磨藏顯宗論 T1563_.29.0905b09f.

Cf. also *L’Abhidharmakośa de Vasubandhu: traduction et annotations*, Louis
de Vallée Poussin, IV, p. 78, n. 1, 49 "poison du rat"; p. 79, n. 1 =
*Abhidharmakośa-Bhāṣya
of Vasubandhu: The Treasury of the Abhidharma and its (Auto) Commentary*,
translated into French by Louis de La Vallée Poussin; annotated English
translation by Gelong Lodrö Sangpo, II, p. 1830f.

A similar phrase is found in the *Abhidharmahṛdaya*, 阿毘曇心論經
T1551_.28.0847a1f. 相續義名使。猶如鼠毒。如四日瘧病。However, this phrase is not found
another Chinese translation of the same text, see: *Le coeur de la loi
suprême: Traité* de Fa-Cheng: Abhidharmahṛdayaśāstra de Dharmaśrī,
traduit et annoté par Indumati Armelin, Paris Geuther 1978, p. 107;
Charles Willemen, 2006    *The Essence of Scholasticism, Abhidharmahṛdaya.
T 1550*, Revised edition with a completely new introduction, Delhi 2006:
Motilal Banarsidass, p. 102.

*Laṅkāvatārasūtra* (梵文入楞伽經), ed. Bunyiu Nanjio, Kyoto 1923: Otani
University (Bibliotheca Otaniensis, vol. 1), reprint: Kyoto 1956: Otani
University, p. 138, l. 15f. *tatrānuśayānām ariprakhyānāṃ **mūṣikāviṣavat**
prakopadharmiṇām atyantasamudghātādarhadvadho bhavati* /(= Vaidya 57.1).

With best regards,

Seishi Karashima

P.S.

I have placed PDF files of my articles on the following websites:

https://sokauniversity.academia.edu/SeishiKarashima

http://iriab.soka.ac.jp/orc/staff/karashima/index_karashima.html