[INDOLOGY] glass in ancient India

Dagmar Wujastyk d.wujastyk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 08:37:26 UTC 2016

Hi Ken,
Well, Śārngadharasaṃhitā 2.12.31 and  2, 12, 241 mention a "kācakūpī", so I
think in that case it probably is a glass bottle. That is, a glass bottle
covered in cloth soaked in mud. 2,12, 241 also mentions a "kācabhāṇḍa",
which might not mean a bottle. In other cases, in which a kūpī is
mentioned, it is not clear whether it might not be a clay vessel.
Certainly, the way these procedures are done today involve glass bottles.
See for example, here
<https://openi.nlm.nih.gov/detailedresult.php?img=PMC4213972_AYU-35-63-g011&req=4>
.
Best, Dagmar