[INDOLOGY] SUTRALANKAR by Asanga

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 15:49:34 UTC 2016

Dear Alakendu Das,

Shortly after the November 2014 publication of the second translation
listed at the Wiki link that Valerie sent (there still listed as
forthcoming), I wrote a lengthy review of it and previous English
translations of the *Mahāyāna-sūtrālaṃkāra*:
http://prajnaquest.fr/blog/mahayana-sutrala%e1%b9%83kara-a-review/. The
2014 translation is titled: *Ornament of the Great Vehicle Sūtras**:
Maitreya’s Mahāyānasūtrālaṃkāra with Commentaries by Khenpo Shenga and Ju
Mipham*, translated by Dharmachakra Translation Committee (Boston & London:
Snow Lion, 2014). The first ever English translation, by Surekha Vijay
Limaye (*Mahāyānasūtrālaṃkāra by ‘Asaṅga*,’ Delhi: Sri Satguru
Publications, 1992), was not listed in the Wiki article. This was
beneficent. This translation was made without knowledge of the meaning of
standard Buddhist terms, and is quite unreliable.

Of the other two English translations, in brief, the 2004 translation (*The
Universal Vehicle Discourse Literature **(Mahāyānasūtrālaṃkāra), By
Maitreyanātha/Āryāsaṅga, Together with its Commentary (Bhāṣya), By
Vasubandhu*, Translated from the Sanskrit, Tibetan, and Chinese by L.
Jamspal, R. Clark, J. Wilson, L. Zwilling, M. Sweet, R. Thurman, New York:
American Institute of Buddhist Studies, 2004) employs "experimental choices
of English terminology" (Preface, p. x). Examples of these are "addictions"
for *kleśa*-s, "theology" for *tarka*, and "intuition" for *jñāna*, and
there is no glossary. The 2014 translation for the most part employs
commonly used English translation terminology (with a few exceptions such
as "wakefulness" for *jñāna*). Nonetheless, the 2004 translation is more
accurate in its sentence construal. This is because the 2014 translation
was made from the Tibetan translation, without consulting the original
Sanskrit.

Note that the 2004 translation includes a translation of Vasubandhu's
Sanskrit commentary, while the 2014 translation does not, but instead
includes translations of two recent Tibetan commentaries.

Best regards,

David Reigle
Colorado, U.S.A.