[INDOLOGY] Satya Ranjan Banerjee

Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at uni-muenchen.de
Sun Dec 11 01:28:54 UTC 2016

Very sad indeed. I first met Prof. Banerjee on my very first trip to India, in early 1979, and knew him as an enthusiastic scholar of a kind and helping nature.

Peter Flugel wrote:
> It is with great sadness to report that Dr Satya Ranjan Banerjee, formerly Professor at the Department of Linguistics of the University of Calcutta, has passed away. He was one of the foremost scholars of Prakrit and Jainology of his generation and has taught numerous students from all over the world in India and abroad.
> […]

Perhaps it should also be remembered here that after the passing away of Ganesh Lalwani, Prof. Banerjee took over the duty of editing the Jain Journal from Calcutta. I, too, will miss him dearly.

RZ

--
Prof. Dr. Robert J. Zydenbos
Institut für Indologie und Tibetologie