[INDOLOGY] La Siddhi de Hiuan-tsang

David and Nancy Reigle dnreigle at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 16:57:40 UTC 2015

You obviously require the French original of Louis de la Vallée Poussin’s
book, *Vijñaptimātratāsiddhi**: La Siddhi de Hiuan-tsang*. Nonetheless, it
may be useful to others here to know that an English translation of this
book is available from the translator. A Canadian nun in the Tibetan
Buddhist tradition, Ani Migme Chodron, has been translating French language
classics of Buddhism into English and providing PDFs of her translations
free upon request (animigme at gampoabbey.org). She has done this as a labor
of love, during her more than twenty years as a nun at Gampo Abbey in
Canada. She is now 91 years old.

Not only has she translated Poussin’s 2-volume translation of the
*Vijñaptimātratāsiddhi*, she has also translated other Buddhist classics
from French: Étienne Lamotte’s 5-volume partial translation of the
*Mahāprajñāpāramitāśāstra*, his translation of the *Mahāyānasaṃgraha*,
Walpola Rahula’s translation of the *Abhidharmasamuccaya*, Van den Broeck’s
translation of the *Amṛtarasa* (*La Saveur de l’Immortel*), and André
Bareau’s *Les Sectes Bouddhiques du Petit Véhicule*. Most recently she has
translated R. A. Stein’s *Vie et chants de ‘Brug-pa Kun-legs le yogin (The
Life and Songs of Drugpa Kunlegs)*.

Ani Migme’s translation of Étienne Lamotte’s 5-volume heavily annotated
translation of the first major section of Nāgārjuna’s
*Mahāprajñāpāramitāśāstra* *(Traité de la Grande Vertu de Sagessse)* is
especially noteworthy. Lamotte’s designated translator, the late Sara
Boin-Webb, had translated this massive work many years ago. It was supposed
to be published by Peeters, but after all these years this has not yet
occurred even now. Sara was very frustrated by this, and did all she could
to try to make this happen. She died in 2008. While this is of little
solace to Sara, English speakers now have access to Lamotte’s great work,
thanks to the parallel labor of Ani Migme. The first volume of Ani Migme’s
translation of this book was completed in 2001.

Best regards,

David Reigle

Colorado, U.S.A.