[INDOLOGY] Arya as prefix or suffix

Martin Gansten martin.gansten at pbhome.se
Sat Sep 12 08:10:21 UTC 2015

One occasionally comes across /ārya/ in Sanskrit texts either suffixed
to a name (e.g., Rāmānujārya) or prefixed to it (e.g.,
Āryāvalokiteśvara), but I haven't seen this often enough to be certain
if either variant is peculiar to a particular region, religious
community, etc. (The two examples given are representative of my limited
experience.) As a result, I am uncertain how to understand the
occasional /ārya/ in a compounded list of names. I'd be grateful if the
vidvans of the list could tell me whether it is more usual as a prefix
or suffix, or under what circumstances this might vary.

Martin Gansten