[INDOLOGY] Dictionary of Conversational Sanskrit

Ashok Aklujkar ashok.aklujkar at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 17:00:03 UTC 2015

Publications in this area are appearing with increasing frequency. I have not made any particular effort to keep track of them. The ones I have found sufficiently or more than sufficiently rich are:

Narendra. 1996, reprint 1997. संस्कृतस्य व्यावहारिकस्वरूपम् : Functional Sanskrit: Its Communicative Aspect. Puduccheri [= Pondicherry]: Saṁskṛta-kāryālayaḥ, Śrī-Aravindāśrama.

Joisa, Sowmya (and Vinita Sharma and Sharada Varadarajan). 2013. Mukulam. San Jose, CA: Samskrita Bharati USA. Postal address 4204 Latimer Avenue.

Dr. Sampadānanda Misra, <sampadanandamishra at gmail.com>, of Sri Aurobindo Foundations for Indian Culture (SAFIC), Pondicherry, is doing much innovative work in the field, concentrating especially on young learners. He also runs the Divyavani Sanskrit Radio accessible at http://tunein.com/radio/Divyavani-s205826/ <http://tunein.com/radio/Divyavani-s205826/> For help, visit:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KNn3rwVA3e8cwjZYcUCCc80HEIq_mHcK1OvsjUs46Iw/edit <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KNn3rwVA3e8cwjZYcUCCc80HEIq_mHcK1OvsjUs46Iw/edit>

There is an older book by Hajime Nakamura on conversational/spoken Sanskrit, which is useful but would be inadequate for sustained and systematic study.

a.a.