[INDOLOGY] deciphering a Tibetan mural

C.A. Formigatti caf57 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 3 10:57:39 UTC 2015

Dear Mark,

As Prof. Salomon already wrote, it is indeed a script very common in
Nepalese palm-leaf manuscripts (from my experience up to the 15h-16th
century; it is used also in some earlier Pala manuscripts). The picture
has a relatively good resolution, but still it is difficult to read the
first part of the text (it might begin with the akṣaras kama). I believe
that the last part reads vakaddhitvād. It is interesting to note that
many Nepalese scripts were used as ornamental scripts in Tibet, and also
that the writing material in the depiction seems to be paper (as to be
expected in Tibet), since the folio bends.

Best wishes,

Camillo Formigatti