[INDOLOGY] Fw: Article about the politics surrounding Indology at the IHRC

Jesse Knutson jknutson at hawaii.edu
Mon Jun 15 10:05:20 UTC 2015

Understood. From a scientific point of view race does not exist. This has
been evident for some time. Yet even if race is a fiction and a purely
cultural construct, it does not liquidate the discussion of racism. Racism,
even if based on totally erroneous perceptions (and a long history of
them), does not cease to exist.

On Mon, Jun 15, 2015 at 2:35 PM, Dean Michael Anderson via INDOLOGY <
indology at list.indology.info> wrote:

> From: Dean Michael Anderson <eastwestcultural at yahoo.com>
> To: Indology List <indology at list.indology.info>
> Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 09:05:49 +0000 (UTC)
> Subject: Fw: [INDOLOGY] Article about the politics surrounding Indology at
> the IHRC
>
> Dominik Wujastyk said:
>
> >We are using the words "race" and "racist" as if they meant something.
> >But this is not the appropriate language to use in a methodologically
> sound
> >contemporary discussion about ethnicity or community.
>
> Thank you for pointing this out. I was going to mention it but was afraid
> my post was getting too long.
>
> Outmoded ideas of race have created no end of trouble in our discipline,
> not to mention the world at large. This is perhaps fitting since many of
> the men responsible for the mistaken concept were our academic forebears.
> Thus, we should be among the leaders in correcting people's understanding.
>
> Of course, at the same time we should be active in addressing the real
> issues this imaginary concept has created. Just because the snake turned
> out to be a rope doesn't mean the broken leg caused in the ensuing panic is
> illusory.
>
> Best,
>
> Dr. Dean or is it Professor Anderson? I can never predict.

Jesse Ross Knutson PhD
Assistant Professor of Sanskrit and Bengali, Department of Indo-Pacific
Languages and Literatures
University of Hawai'i at Mānoa
452A Spalding