[INDOLOGY] The so-called German Indology

Dipak Bhattacharya dipak.d2004 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 16:40:19 UTC 2015

<The accomplishments of German Indologists are clearly seminal, but that
doesn’t mean it’s not important to understand the intellectual, cultural
and historical circumstances that inevitably influenced what they wrote.>
I do not disagree with this. But this is true of some non-German
Indologists too. Was Maxmueller as an Indologist German? He viewed Buddhism
as a step towards Chrstianity. Macdonell did not pronounce so. But, as far
as I know, he did not say against this view.  But Keith distinguished
between our lord and their lord. I read these in student life and, hence,
cannot cite from the authors..But I could not avoid the impression that
chauvinism is universal,.not necessarily a German characteristic. Indian
Indologists too often take to self-aggrandizement. But the trend seems to
be on the wane since long. Deussen and Tucci were diifferent. So much so
good.
Best
Dipak Bhattacharya
.