[INDOLOGY] transliteration of proper nouns

dermot at grevatt.force9.co.uk dermot at grevatt.force9.co.uk
Sat Feb 28 14:12:58 UTC 2015

Dear Herman,

My practice is to spell the name as the subject spells it when writing in English: Rammohun
Roy, Keshub Chunder Sen, Aurobindo Ghose. There may be cases of doubt where the
subject spells it in several ways, but the same is true of William Shakespeare, so it's not a
new problem. For those who didn't write in English, I spell it as was spelt by comtemporaries,
e.g. Dayananda Saraswati.

The same goes for Brahmo Samaj, Arya Samaj, etc.

Consequently, I don't put diacritics -- unless the subject usually spells it with diacritics, which
is most unlikely.

On the first occurrence of the name, it may useful t add the Sanskrit form in exact
transliteration, to explain to Sanskritists what the name means, which may be significant for
the family's religious and caste affiliation.

Not long ago there was a practice in library catalogues of sanskritizing names, e.g. Kesava
Candra Sena, Aravinda Ghosa. That's inconsistent, since librarians gave up latinizing
European names centuries ago. It's also open to the charge of objectifying the other and
denying him/her a voice.

I hope your project goes well.

With best wishes,

Dermot (Killingley)