[INDOLOGY] Pragvata/Porwad/etc and the suffix -simha

Martin Gansten martin.gansten at pbhome.se
Sat Apr 18 08:44:38 UTC 2015

I am currently looking at two Sanskrit authors probably from the
Saurāṣṭra region: Samarasiṃha (possibly 13th century, and in any event
prior to ->) and Tejaḥsiṃha (fl. 1337 CE). Both emphasize belonging to
the Prāgvaṭa community, and both claim a family connection as
ministers/advisors to Caulukya rulers.

I confess an almost complete ignorance of the Prāgvaṭas, although a
quick web search tells me that they are commonly known today as Porwad
or Porwal and comprise both Hindus and Jains. Later authors claim
Samarasiṃha as a Brahmin, and so my first question is whether this is
correct for a self-proclaimed Prāgvaṭa -- or rather, if it would have
been correct in 13th-century Saurāṣṭra. Were the Prāgvaṭas/Porwads at
that time and place Hindus (= non-Jains), and if so, were they
considered Brahmins?

I also wonder what the suffix -siṃha might have implied in this
historical context. Several ancestors of these two authors had names
ending in it as well: Caṇḍasiṃha, Kumārasiṃha, Vijayasiṃha. Does this
tell us anything of their origins, status or affiliations?

With many thanks in advance, as always, for any light that list members
may be able to shed on this,

Martin Gansten