[INDOLOGY] Narratology

George Thompson gthomgt at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 18:52:54 UTC 2014

Dear List,

Narratology has roots not only in German scholarship, as Dipak has pointed
out.  It also has deep roots in Russian semiotics [see Propp, Jakobson,
Lotman, Ivanov, and Toporov et al.]. Two important Indologists had deep
connections with this school: T. Elizarenkova and Boris Oguibenine,  who
is, I think, still a member of this list.  Narratology was also nurtured by
French scholars, influenced by Levi-Strauss and his brand of structuralism.

Indo-Europeanists interested not only in IE linguistics, but also in IE
poetics, also have spent much tim