[INDOLOGY] MAnasollAsa

Jesse Knutson jknutson at hawaii.edu
Fri May 16 06:37:26 UTC 2014

I suspect that Professor Jha is talking about a different Mānasollāsa, i.e.
the one listed below (and I am not sure if there is any English translation
of the whole or part of it):

Mānasollāsa of King Bhūlokamalla Someśvara

   - Author:
   Someśvara Chalukya Emperor, active 12th
century.<http://uhmanoa.lib.hawaii.edu:7008/vwebv/search?searchArg=Somes%CC%81vara%20Chalukya%20Emperor,&searchCode=NAME&searchType=4>

   - Title:
   Mānasollāsa of King Bhūlokamalla Someśvara / edited by G.K.
   Shrigondekar.
   - Edition:
   2nd ed.
   - Publisher:
   Baroda : Oriental Institute, 1967-
   volumes ; 25 cm.
   - Series:
   Government of India Sanskrit book reprint series
   Gaekwad's oriental series ; 28.
   - Subjects:
   Education of
princes.<http://uhmanoa.lib.hawaii.edu:7008/vwebv/search?searchArg=Education%20of%20princes.&searchCode=SUBJ&searchType=3>

   Education of
princes.<http://uhmanoa.lib.hawaii.edu:7008/vwebv/search?searchArg=Education%20of%20princes.&searchCode=SUBJ&searchType=3>

   India.<http://uhmanoa.lib.hawaii.edu:7008/vwebv/search?searchArg=India.&searchCode=SUBJ&searchType=3>

   - Genre/Form:
   Early works.<http://uhmanoa.lib.hawaii.edu:7008/vwebv/search?searchArg=Early%20works.&searchCode=SUBJ&searchType=3>

   - Other Name(s):
   Shrigondekar, G. K. (Gajanan
Kusaba)<http://uhmanoa.lib.hawaii.edu:7008/vwebv/search?searchArg=Shrigondekar,%20G.%20K.&searchCode=NAME&searchType=4>

   - Notes:
   In Sanskrit; introduction in English.
   Half title in Sanskrit: Mānasollāsaḥ.
   Reprint. Originally published: Baroda : Central Library, 1925-
   (Gaekwad's oriental series ; no. 28). With new foreword.
   Equally well-known as the Abhilaṣitārthacintāmaṇi.
   - Related Title added entry:
   Abhilaṣitārthacintāmaṇi.
   - Summary/Abstract:
   On princes education in ancient India.
   -
   -

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 8:17 PM, Niranjan Saha <shrinsaha at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Professor Jha,
>
> Namaskar! You may list out the following translations of the Manaollasa.
>
> 1. Dakshinamurtistotra of Sri Sankaracharya and Dakshinamurti Upanishad
> with Sureswaracharya's Manasolla and Pranava Vartika, texts and
> translations in English by Alladi Mahadeva Sastry, Samata Books, Chennai,
> 2001, Rs 150 (samatabooks at gmail.com).
>
> 2. Dakshinamurti Stotra with Manasollasa, texts and translation in English
> by Swami Harshananda, Ramakrishna Math, Bangalore, 1999, Rs 35
>
> 3. Sridakshinamurtistotram (A Study based on the Manasollasa and
> Tattvasudha) by D.S.Subbaramaiya (out of print, vols.1-2, Dakshinamnaya Sri
> Sarada Peetham, 1990; photostat copy may be available on request to
> srinivasan.rbi at gmail.com).
>
> Sincerely,
> Niranjan Saha, Kolkata 67
>

> On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 9:26 AM, Dn Jha <jdnarayan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear List,
>> Can any one direct me to a good English translation of MAnasollAsa?
>> Gratefully,
>> DNJ
>> --
>> --
>> D N Jha
>> Professor of History (retired),
>> University of Delhi
>> 9, Uttaranchal Apartments
>> 5, I.P. Extension, Delhi 110 092
>> Tel: + 2277 1049
>> Cell: 98111 43090
>> jdnarayan at gmail.com
>> dnjha72 at gmail.com

Jesse Ross Knutson PhD
Assistant Professor of Sanskrit and Bengali, Department of Indo-Pacific
Languages and Literatures
University of Hawai'i at Mānoa
452A Spalding