[INDOLOGY] Gemology in S. Asia?

Andrew Nicholson andrew.nicholson at stonybrook.edu
Fri Jun 13 21:34:28 UTC 2014

Dear Colleagues,

Thanks to all who responded to my query off-list. Based on your
recommendations, I've put together the following mini-bibliography:

Babb, Lawrence (2013). Emerald City: The Birth and Evolution of an
Indian Gemstone Industry. Albany: SUNY Press.

McHugh, James (2013). "Gemstones," in Brill's Encyclopedia of
Hinduism, ed. Knut Jacobsen. Leiden: Brill.

Meulenbeld, G.J. (1999-2002). A History of Indian Medical Literature,
vols. 1-4. Groningen: E. Forsten.

Tank, Raj Roop (1971). Indian Gemology. Jaipur: Dulichand Kirtichand Tank.

Wojtilla, Gyula (2011). "Ratnasastra in Kautilya's Arthasastra," in
Scientific Literature in Sanskrit, ed. S.R. Sarma and Gyula Wojtilla.
Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass.

Also of note is the new research project in Heidelberg, "Garnet in
South Asia: Historical and Archaeological Sources."

All the best,
Andrew
Andrew J. Nicholson
Associate Professor