[INDOLOGY] Anusvara plus nasal

Franco franco at uni-leipzig.de
Tue Jun 10 08:15:20 UTC 2014

Dear Dominik,
This is improbable. The additional anusvaras occur far too often and also in manuscripts that are very carefully written. I once toyed with the idea that this reflects the actual pronunciation in a certain area in a certain time, that is, that vowels before nasals were nasalized. I never found any evidence for such an assumption.
Best wishes,
Eli

Sent from my iPad