[INDOLOGY] Vedic family recitation traditions

(Maitreya) Borayin Larios shrimaitreya at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 11:37:41 UTC 2014

Dear James Hartzell and dear list members,

In addition to the great contributions from Finn, Nagaraj and others in the
list to the topic of Vedic recitation traditions, I would also like to draw
your attention to my own work dealing with contemporary Vedic recitation
and Vedic schools from the state of Maharashtra.

My dissertation entitled: "Embodying Sacred Sound. The transmission of
knowledge in traditional Vedic schools of contemporary Maharashtra" which
was submitted last year here at the Heidelberg University should be
published online later this year.

Some of my articles are also available for download on Academia.edu (
https://uni-heidelberg.academia.edu/BorayinLarios), and although they do
not all deal exclusively with Vedic recitation, they do deal with issues
that affect these traditions.

In addition, I would like to share a short film (about 15 min) that I
edited to illustrate a typical day in a Vedic school in Satara Maharashtra.
It is available on youtube through this link:

http://youtu.be/ALEHkgOx8EE

Some colleagues have found it a useful resource to teach in their
introductory classes on Hinduism. I hope that you will find it useful too.
Finally, here are also some photographs of Vedapāṭhakas from my fieldwork
in case you are interested:

http://tinyurl.com/kgdrj9a

@Finn: for your online bilbliography I am sure you will find other works in
the bibliography of my dissertation, If you want we can collaborate on
this, I would be very interested to help you out.

Please excuse this self-promotional email, but I am eager to share my work
with the few people who can be potentially interested in what I do.

Best,
Borayin Larios

Borayin Larios
Jägerpfad 13